ISO 14373:2006 specifies requirements for resistance spot welding in the fabrication of assemblies of uncoated and metallic coated low carbon steel, comprising two or three sheets of metal, where the maximum single sheet thickness of components to be welded is within the range 0,4 mm to 3 mm, for the following materials:
- uncoated steels;
- hot dip zinc or iron-zinc alloy (galvannealed) coated steel;
- electrolytic zinc, zinc-iron, or zinc-nickel coated steel;
- aluminium coated steel;
- zinc-aluminium coated steel.
ISO 14373:2006 is applicable to the welding of sheets of the same or dissimilar thickness, where the thickness ratio is less than or equal to 3:1. It applies to the welding of three thicknesses, where the total thickness is less than or equal to 9 mm.
Welding with the following types of equipment is within the scope of ISO 14373:2006:
- pedestal welding equipment;
- gun welders;
- automatic welding equipment where the components are fed by robots or automatic feeding equipment;
- multi welders;
- robotic welders.
The welding of organic coated or primer coated steels is not within the scope of ISO 14373:2006.