ISO/IEC TR 90005:2008 provides guidance for organizations in the application of ISO 9001:2000 to the acquisition, supply, development, operation and maintenance of systems and related support services. It does not add to or otherwise change the requirements of ISO 9001:2000. The guidelines provided in ISO/IEC TR 90005:2008 are not intended to be used as assessment criteria in quality management system registration or certification.
ISO/IEC TR 90005:2008 adopts ISO/IEC 15288 systems life cycle processes as a starting point for system development, operation or maintenance and identifies those equivalent requirements in ISO 9001:2000 that have a bearing on the implementation of ISO/IEC 15288.
ISO/IEC TR 90005:2008 is appropriate to systems that are
- part of a commercial contract with another organization,
- a product available for a market sector,
- used to support the processes of an organization,
- embedded in a hardware product, or
- related to software services.