ISO/IEC 27000:2009 provides an overview of information security management systems, which form the subject of the information security management system (ISMS) family of standards, and defines related terms. As a result of implementing ISO/IEC 27000:2009, all types of organization (e.g. commercial enterprises, government agencies and non-profit organizations) are expected to obtain:
- an overview of the ISMS family of standards;
- an introduction to information security management systems (ISMS);
- a brief description of the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) process; and
- an understanding of terms and definitions in use throughout the ISMS family of standards.
The objectives of ISO/IEC 27000:2009 are to provide terms and definitions, and an introduction to the ISMS family of standards that:
- define requirements for an ISMS and for those certifying such systems;
- provide direct support, detailed guidance and/or interpretation for the overall Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) processes and requirements;
- address sector-specific guidelines for ISMS; and
- address conformity assessment for ISMS.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2009-05
Edition: 1Number of pages: 19
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 Information security, cybersecurity and privacy protection
ISO/IEC 27000:2009Stage: 95.99
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
+41 22 749 08 88
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.