ISO 19399:2016 specifies a destructive method for determination of the dry film thickness, in which damage to the coat caused in a definite manner is evaluated microscopically. The method is suitable for almost all coat-substrate combinations and also allows determination of the single film thicknesses of coating systems.
The method cannot be applied or can only be applied with restrictions in case of
- too soft and/or elastic coatings (no recognizable scribe or drill hole can be observed),
- hard (cannot be scribed/drilled) or too soft and/or elastic substrates,
- too low visual contrast between the coating and substrate, and
- film thicknesses that are larger than the depth of field of the measuring microscope.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2016-05
Edition: 1Number of pages: 27
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 35/SC 9 General test methods for paints and varnishes
- ICS :
- 87.040 Paints and varnishes
Buy this standard
|std 1 145||PDF + ePub|
|std 2 145||Paper|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.93 (Confirmed)
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.