ISO 14817-1:2015 specifies the logical structure (framework) and the data content (substance) of intelligent transport systems (ITS) data dictionaries (DDs).
Specifically, this part of ISO 14817 specifies the following:
- framework used to identify and define all data concepts;
- meta-attributes used to describe, standardize and manage each of the data concepts defined within this framework;
- requirements used to record these definitions;
- naming conventions for the data concepts;
- a set of preferred data concepts within the ITS domain;
- data modelling method for defining ITS data concepts, when used.
DDs support data concepts derived from any number of international, regional or national system architecture methodologies and/or techniques. Common data formats and operating procedures will ease migration and interoperability between such approaches.
A data concept registry is an electronic data dictionary that supports some additional features. The CIDCR refers to the specific implementation of an ITS data concept registry that is operated under the auspices of ISO/TC 204. The term "data concept registries" may refer to the CIDCR and/or any other national or regional data concept registry that chooses to conform to this part of ISO 14817.