ISO/IEC 29121:2018 specifies the data migration method for DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, +R, +RW, CD-R, CD-RW, BD Recordable and BD Rewritable disks for long-term data storage. By applying this document for information storage, digital data can be migrated to a next new disk without loss from the present disk as long as data errors are completely corrected before and during the migration and provided copying of the data is allowed.
ISO/IEC 29121:2018 specifies:
- a data migration method for long-term data storage;
- test methods including test parameters, test area, test drive, disk preparation and test execution;
- an initial performance test and a periodic performance test that check a readability of the data recorded on the disks with categorized Maximum Data Error tables; and
- a necessity of precaution to reduce the possibility of deterioration in order to assure the integrity of the disks during their use, storage, handling or transportation.
ISO/IEC 29121:2018 offers guidelines to use disks with estimated lifetime of Bmig (B0,000 1) Life which is introduced using B5 Life and B50 Life specified in ISO/IEC 16963.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2018-03
Edition: 3Number of pages: 23
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 23 Digitally recorded media for information interchange and storage
- ICS :
- 35.220.30 Optical storage devices
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
ISO/IEC 29121:2018Stage: 95.99
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.