This document describes the following:
- polling for proximity cards or objects (PICCs) entering the field of a proximity coupling device (PCD);
- the byte format, the frames and timing used during the initial phase of communication between PCDs and PICCs;
- the initial Request and Answer to Request command content;
- methods to detect and communicate with one PICC among several PICCs (anticollision);
- other parameters required to initialize communications between a PICC and PCD;
- optional means to ease and speed up the selection of one PICC among several PICCs based on application criteria;
- optional capability to allow a device to alternate between the functions of a PICC and a PCD to communicate with a PCD or a PICC, respectively. A device which implements this capability is called a PXD.
Protocol and commands used by higher layers and by applications and which are used after the initial phase are described in ISO/IEC 14443‑4.
This document is applicable to PICCs of Type A and of Type B (as described in ISO/IEC 14443‑2), to PCDs (as described in ISO/IEC 14443‑2) and to PXDs.
NOTE 1 Part of the timing of data communication is defined in ISO/IEC 14443‑2.
NOTE 2 Test methods for this document are defined in ISO/IEC 10373‑6.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2018-07
Edition: 4Number of pages: 56
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 17 Cards and security devices for personal identification
- ICS :
- 35.240.15 Identification cards. Chip cards. Biometrics
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goal:
Buy this standard
|std 1 187||PDF + ePub|
|std 2 187||Paper|
ISO/IEC 14443-3:2018Stage: 60.60
Corrigenda / AmendmentsPublished
ISO/IEC 14443-3:2018/Amd 1:2021Published
ISO/IEC 14443-3:2018/Amd 2:2020Published
ISO/IEC 14443-3:2018/AWI Amd 3
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.